Sunday, November 15, 2009

Life inside a ping-pong ball with Eric Larsen


I interviewed American explorer Eric Larsen earlier this year for Outside Magazine. The Q&A focused on his expedition to the three poles - North, South and summit of Everest - in one year. He is now at the beginning of his first leg, the South Pole, waiting for the weather to improve (120 kilometre winds have his party pinned) before he begins skiing. For someone so determined and focused he's a pretty down to earth guy. The only thing I don't get is how he handles the cold and boredom. He admitted to me that he gets really bored on these expeditions. Surprisingly enough skiing in a whiteout isn't that much fun and it's even less fun when you get vertigo. "It feels like you're stuck on the inside of a ping-pong ball," is how he described it. Sounds wicked. Sign me up. Seriously, I'm cheering for him. Follow his progress on his website, ericlarsenexplore.com

No comments:

Post a Comment